96.370 What are the requirements for vessels of countries not party to Chapter IX of SOLAS§ 96.370 What are the requirements for vessels of countries not party to Chapter IX of SOLAS?
(a) Each foreign vessel which carries more than 12 passengers, or is a tanker, bulk freight vessel, freight vessel, or self-propelled mobile offshore drilling unit of 500 gross tons or more, operated in U.S. waters, under the authority of a country not a party to Chapter IX of SOLAS must -
(1) Have on board valid documentation showing that the vessel's company has a safety management system which was audited and assessed, consistent with the International Safety Management Code of IMO Resolution A.741(18);
(2) Have on board valid documentation from a vessel's Flag Administration showing that the vessel's safety management system was audited and assessed to be consistent with the International Safety Management Code of IMO Resolution A.741(18); or
(3) Show that evidence of compliance was issued by either a government that is party to SOLAS or an organization recognized to act on behalf of the vessel's Flag Administration.
(b) Evidence of compliance must contain all of the information in, and have substantially the same format as a -
(1) Document of Compliance certificate; and
(2) Safety Management Certificate.
(c) Failure to comply with this section will subject the vessel to the compliance and enforcement procedures of § 96.380 of this part.