Title 31


101.2 Petitions for mitigation.

§ 101.2 Petitions for mitigation.

(a) Who may file. Any person may petition the Secretary of the Treasury for return of the gold bullion of counterfeit gold coins forfeited to the United States, if:

(1) The petitioner innocently purchased or received the coins and held them without the knowledge that they were counterfeit; and,

(2) The petitioner voluntarily submitted the coins to the Treasury Department for a determination of whether they were legitimate or counterfeit; and,

(3) The coins were determined to be counterfeit and were seized by the Treasury Department and forfeited to the United States.

(b) To whom addressed. Petitions for mitigation of the forfeiture of counterfeit gold coins should be addressed to the Assistant Secretary, Enforcement, Operations, Tariff Affairs, Department of Treasury, 15th and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20220.

(c) Form. The petition need not be in any particular form, but must be under oath, and set forth at least the following:

(1) The full name and address of the petitioner;

(2) A description of the coin or coins involved;

(3) The name and address of the person from whom the coins were received or purchased by the petitioner;

(4) The date and place where they were voluntarily submitted for examination;

(5) Any other circumstances relied upon by the petitioner to justify the mitigation;

(6) A statement that the petitioner purchased or received and held the coins without the knowledge that they were counterfeit.