75.5 Definitions.§ 75.5 Definitions.
The terms HUD, Public housing, and Public Housing Agency (PHA) are defined in 24 CFR part 5. The following definitions also apply to this part:
1937 Act means the United States Housing Act of 1937, 42 U.S.C. 1437 et seq.
Contractor means any entity entering into a contract with:
(1) A recipient to perform work in connection with the expenditure of public housing financial assistance or for work in connection with a Section 3 project; or
(2) A subrecipient for work in connection with a Section 3 project.
Labor hours means the number of paid hours worked by persons on a Section 3 project or by persons employed with funds that include public housing financial assistance.
Low-income person means a person as defined in Section 3(b)(2) of the 1937 Act.
Material supply contracts means contracts for the purchase of products and materials, including, but not limited to, lumber, drywall, wiring, concrete, pipes, toilets, sinks, carpets, and office supplies.
Professional services means non-construction services that require an advanced degree or professional licensing, including, but not limited to, contracts for legal services, financial consulting, accounting services, environmental assessment, architectural services, and civil engineering services.
Public housing financial assistance means assistance as defined in § 75.3(a)(1).
Public housing project is defined in 24 CFR 905.108.
Recipient means any entity that receives directly from HUD public housing financial assistance or housing and community development assistance that funds Section 3 projects, including, but not limited to, any State, local government, instrumentality, PHA, or other public agency, public or private nonprofit organization.
Section 3 means Section 3 of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968, as amended (12 U.S.C. 1701u).
Section 3 business concern means:
(1) A business concern meeting at least one of the following criteria, documented within the last six-month period:
(i) It is at least 51 percent owned and controlled by low- or very low-income persons;
(ii) Over 75 percent of the labor hours performed for the business over the prior three-month period are performed by Section 3 workers; or
(iii) It is a business at least 51 percent owned and controlled by current public housing residents or residents who currently live in Section 8-assisted housing.
(2) The status of a Section 3 business concern shall not be negatively affected by a prior arrest or conviction of its owner(s) or employees.
(3) Nothing in this part shall be construed to require the contracting or subcontracting of a Section 3 business concern. Section 3 business concerns are not exempt from meeting the specifications of the contract.
Section 3 project means a project defined in § 75.3(a)(2).
Section 3 worker means:
(1) Any worker who currently fits or when hired within the past five years fit at least one of the following categories, as documented:
(i) The worker's income for the previous or annualized calendar year is below the income limit established by HUD.
(ii) The worker is employed by a Section 3 business concern.
(iii) The worker is a YouthBuild participant.
(2) The status of a Section 3 worker shall not be negatively affected by a prior arrest or conviction.
(3) Nothing in this part shall be construed to require the employment of someone who meets this definition of a Section 3 worker. Section 3 workers are not exempt from meeting the qualifications of the position to be filled.
Section 8-assisted housing refers to housing receiving project-based rental assistance or tenant-based assistance under Section 8 of the 1937 Act.
Service area or the neighborhood of the project means an area within one mile of the Section 3 project or, if fewer than 5,000 people live within one mile of a Section 3 project, within a circle centered on the Section 3 project that is sufficient to encompass a population of 5,000 people according to the most recent U.S. Census.
Small PHA means a public housing authority that manages or operates fewer than 250 public housing units.
Subcontractor means any entity that has a contract with a contractor to undertake a portion of the contractor's obligation to perform work in connection with the expenditure of public housing financial assistance or for a Section 3 project.
Subrecipient has the meaning provided in the applicable program regulations or in 2 CFR 200.93.
Targeted Section 3 worker has the meanings provided in §§ 75.11, 75.21, or 75.29, and does not exclude an individual that has a prior arrest or conviction.
Very low-income person means the definition for this term set forth in section 3(b)(2) of the 1937 Act.
YouthBuild programs refers to YouthBuild programs receiving assistance under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (29 U.S.C. 3226).