882.1935 Near Infrared (NIR) Brain Hematoma Detector.§ 882.1935 Near Infrared (NIR) Brain Hematoma Detector.
(a) Identification. A Near Infrared (NIR) Brain Hematoma Detector is a noninvasive device that employs near-infrared spectroscopy that is intended to be used to evaluate suspected brain hematomas.
(b) Classification. Class II (special controls). The special controls for this device are:
(1) The sale, distribution, and use of this device are restricted to prescription use in accordance with § 801.109 of this chapter;
(2) The labeling must include specific instructions and the clinical training needed for the safe use of this device;
(3) Appropriate analysis/testing should validate electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), electrical safety, and battery characteristics;
(4) Performance data should validate accuracy and precision and safety features;
(5) Any elements of the device that may contact the patient should be demonstrated to be biocompatible; and,
(6) Appropriate software verification, validation, and hazard analysis should be performed.[77 FR 16927, Mar. 23, 2012]