270.102 Conditions for establishment and deployment of a Team.§ 270.102 Conditions for establishment and deployment of a Team.
(a) The Director may establish a Team for deployment after an event that caused the failure of a building or buildings that resulted in substantial loss of life or posed significant potential for substantial loss of life. The Director will determine the following prior to deploying a Team:
(1) The event was any of the following:
(i) A major failure of one or more buildings or types of buildings due to an extreme natural event (earthquake, hurricane, tornado, flood, etc.);
(ii) A fire that resulted in a building failure of the building of origin and/or spread beyond the building of origin.
(iii) A major building failure at significantly less than its design basis, during construction, or while in active use; or
(iv) An act of terrorism or other event resulting in a Presidential declaration of disaster and activation of the National Response Plan; and
(2) A fact-finding investigation of the building performance and emergency response and evacuation procedures will likely result in significant and new knowledge or building code revision recommendations needed to reduce or mitigate public risk and economic losses from future building failures.
(b) In making the determinations pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section, the Director will consider the following:
(1) Whether sufficient financial and personnel resources are available to conduct an investigation; and
(2) Whether an investigation of the building failure warrants the advanced capabilities and experiences of a Team; and
(3) If the technical cause of the failure is readily apparent, whether an investigation is likely to result in relevant knowledge other than reaffirmation of the technical cause; and
(4) Whether deployment of a Team will substantially duplicate local or state resources equal in investigatory and analytical capability and quality to a Team; and
(5) Recommendations resulting from a preliminary reconnaissance of the site of the building failure.
(c) To the maximum extent practicable, the Director will establish and deploy a Team within 48 hours after such an event.[68 FR 66704, Nov. 28, 2003, as amended at 69 FR 33571, June 16, 2004]