1216.305 Actions requiring environmental assessments.§ 1216.305 Actions requiring environmental assessments.
(a) The Responsible Official will prepare an EA when a proposed action cannot be categorically excluded, and the proposed action is not expected to result in impacts that require analysis in an EIS. The Responsible Official will consider the scope of the action and the context and intensity of any environmental impacts when determining whether to prepare an EA.
(b) Typical NASA actions normally requiring an EA include:
(1) Specific spacecraft development and space flight projects/programs (as defined in Appendix A to this subpart).
(2) Actions altering the ongoing operations at a NASA Center which could lead directly, indirectly, or cumulatively to substantial natural or physical environmental impacts.
(3) Construction or modifications of facilities which are not minor.
(4) Proposed actions that are expected to result in significant changes to established land use.
(5) A space flight project/program that would return extraterrestrial samples to Earth from solar system bodies (such as asteroids, comets, planets, dwarf planets, and planetary moons), which would likely receive an Unrestricted Earth Return categorization (as defined in Appendix A to this subpart) from NASA's Planetary Protection Office (PPO) or the NASA Planetary Protection Subcommittee prior to the return of samples to the Earth.