830.205 Technical safety requirements.§ 830.205 Technical safety requirements.
(a) A contractor responsible for a hazard category 1, 2, or 3 DOE nuclear facility must:
(1) Develop technical safety requirements that are derived from the documented safety analysis;
(2) Prior to use, obtain DOE approval of technical safety requirements and any change to technical safety requirements; and
(3) Notify DOE of any violation of a technical safety requirement.
(b) A contractor may take emergency actions that depart from an approved technical safety requirement when no actions consistent with the technical safety requirement are immediately apparent, and when these actions are needed to protect workers, the public or the environment from imminent and significant harm. Such actions must be approved by a certified operator for a reactor or by a person in authority as designated in the technical safety requirements for nonreactor nuclear facilities. The contractor must report the emergency actions to DOE as soon as practicable.
(c) A contractor for an environmental restoration activity may follow the provisions of 29 CFR 1910.120 or 1926.65 to develop the appropriate hazard controls (rather than the provisions for technical safety requirements in paragraph (a) of this section), provided the activity involves either:
(1) Work not done within a permanent structure, or
(2) The decommissioning of a facility with only low-level residual fixed radioactivity.