Title 5 Part 848 → Subpart A
Title 5 → Chapter I → Subchapter B → Part 848 → Subpart A
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations e-CFR
Title 5 Part 848 → Subpart A
§848.101 Applicability and purpose.
This subpart contains the regulations implementing provisions of 5 U.S.C. 8412a authorizing phased retirement. This subpart establishes the eligibility requirements for making an election to enter phased retirement status, the procedures for making an election, the record-keeping requirements, and the methods to be used for certain computations not addressed elsewhere in parts 841-843 and 845.
In this subpart—
Authorized agency official means—
(1) For the executive branch agencies, the head of an Executive agency as defined in 5 U.S.C. 105;
(2) For the legislative branch, the Secretary of the Senate, the Clerk of the House of Representatives, or the head of any other legislative branch agency;
(3) For the judicial branch, the Director of the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts;
(4) For the Postal Service, the Postmaster General;
(5) For any other independent establishment that is an entity of the Federal Government, the head of the establishment; or
(6) An official who is authorized to act for an official named in paragraphs (1)-(5) in the matter concerned.
Composite retirement annuity means the annuity computed when a phased retiree attains full retirement status.
Director means the Director of the Office of Personnel Management.
Full retirement status means that a phased retiree has ceased employment and is entitled, upon application, to a composite retirement annuity.
(1) An officially established recurring basic workweek consisting of 40 hours within the employee's administrative workweek (as established under §610.111 of this chapter or similar authority); or
(2) An officially established recurring basic work requirement of 80 hours per biweekly pay period (as established for employees with a flexible or compressed work schedule under 5 U.S.C. chapter 61, subchapter II, or similar authority).
Phased employment means the less-than-full-time employment of a phased retiree.
Phased retiree means a retirement-eligible employee who—
(1) With the concurrence of an authorized agency official, enters phased retirement status; and
(2) Has not entered full retirement status;
Phased retirement annuity means the annuity payable under 5 U.S.C. 8412a before full retirement.
Phased retirement percentage means the percentage which, when added to the working percentage for a phased retiree, produces a sum of 100 percent.
Phased retirement period means the period beginning on the date on which an individual becomes entitled to receive a phased retirement annuity and ending on the date on which the individual dies or separates from phased employment.
Phased retirement status means that a phased retiree is concurrently employed in phased employment and eligible to receive a phased retirement annuity.
Working percentage has the meaning given that term in §848.202(a).
§848.103 Implementing directives.
The Director may prescribe, in the form he or she deems appropriate, such detailed procedures as are necessary to carry out the purpose of this subpart.