Title 36 Part 1201 → Subpart B → §1201.19

Title 36 → Chapter XII → Subchapter A → Part 1201 → Subpart B → §1201.19

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations e-CFR

Title 36 Part 1201 → Subpart B → §1201.19

e-CFR data is current as of June 4, 2020

Title 36Chapter XIISubchapter APart 1201Subpart B → §1201.19

Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property
Subpart B—General Provisions.

§1201.19   How can I resolve my debt through voluntary repayment?

(a) In response to a notice of debt, you may propose to NARA that you be allowed to repay the debt through a voluntary repayment agreement in lieu of NARA taking other collection actions under this part.

(b) Your request to enter into a voluntary repayment agreement must:

(1) Be in writing;

(2) Admit the existence of the debt; and

(3) Either propose payment of the debt (together with interest, penalty charges, and administrative costs) in a lump sum, or set forth a proposed repayment schedule.

(c) NARA will collect claims in one lump sum whenever feasible. However, if you are unable to pay your debt in one lump sum, NARA may accept payment in regular installments that bear a reasonable relationship to the size of the debt and your ability to pay.

(d) NARA will consider a request to enter into a voluntary repayment agreement in accordance with the FCCS. The Archivist may request additional information from you, including financial statements if you request to make payments in installments, in order to determine whether to accept a voluntary repayment agreement. It is within the Archivist's discretion to accept a repayment agreement instead of proceeding with other collection actions under this part, and to set the necessary terms of any voluntary repayment agreement. No repayment agreement will be binding on NARA unless it is in writing and signed by both you and the Archivist. At NARA's option, you may be required to provide security as part of the agreement to make payments in installments. Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, 31 U.S.C. 3711 will govern any reduction or compromise of a claim.