493.1241 Standard: Test request.§ 493.1241 Standard: Test request.
(a) The laboratory must have a written or electronic request for patient testing from an authorized person.
(b) The laboratory may accept oral requests for laboratory tests if it solicits a written or electronic authorization within 30 days of the oral request and maintains the authorization or documentation of its efforts to obtain the authorization.
(c) The laboratory must ensure the test requisition solicits the following information:
(1) The name and address or other suitable identifiers of the authorized person requesting the test and, if appropriate, the individual responsible for using the test results, or the name and address of the laboratory submitting the specimen, including, as applicable, a contact person to enable the reporting of imminently life threatening laboratory results or panic or alert values.
(2) The patient's name or unique patient identifier.
(3) The sex and age or date of birth of the patient.
(4) The test(s) to be performed.
(5) The source of the specimen, when appropriate.
(6) The date and, if appropriate, time of specimen collection.
(7) For Pap smears, the patient's last menstrual period, and indication of whether the patient had a previous abnormal report, treatment, or biopsy.
(8) Any additional information relevant and necessary for a specific test to ensure accurate and timely testing and reporting of results, including interpretation, if applicable.
(d) The patient's chart or medical record may be used as the test requisition or authorization but must be available to the laboratory at the time of testing and available to CMS or a CMS agent upon request.
(e) If the laboratory transcribes or enters test requisition or authorization information into a record system or a laboratory information system, the laboratory must ensure the information is transcribed or entered accurately.