476.170 General quality of care reconsideration procedures.§ 476.170 General quality of care reconsideration procedures.
(a) Right to request a reconsideration. Beginning with reviews initiated after July 31, 2014, a provider or practitioner who is dissatisfied with a QIO's initial determination may request a reconsideration by the QIO.
(1) The reconsideration request must be received by the QIO, in writing or by telephone, by no later than 3 calendar days following receipt of the QIO's initial determination. If the QIO is unable to accept the request, the request must be submitted by noon of the next day the QIO is available to accept a request.
(2) The practitioner or provider must be available to answer any questions or supply any information that the QIO requests in order to conduct its reconsideration.
(3) The QIO must offer the practitioner or provider an opportunity to provide further information. A practitioner or provider may, but is not required to, submit evidence to be considered by the QIO in making its reconsideration decision.
(b) Issuance of the QIO's final decision. No later than 5 calendar days after receipt of the request for a reconsideration, or, if later, 5 calendar days after receiving any medical or other records needed for such reconsideration, the QIO must complete the review and notify the practitioner or provider of its decision.
(1) The QIO's initial notification may be done by telephone, followed by the mailing of a written notice by noon the next calendar day that includes:
(i) A statement for each concern that care did or did not meet the standard of care;
(ii) The standard identified by the QIO for each of the concerns;
(iii) A summary of the specific facts that the QIO determines are pertinent to its findings; and
(iv) A statement that the letter represents the QIO's final determination and that there is no right to further appeal.
(2) The QIO may provide information regarding opportunities for improving the care given to patients based on the specific findings of its review.[77 FR 68561, Nov. 15, 2012]