417.452 Liability of Medicare enrollees.§ 417.452 Liability of Medicare enrollees.
(a) Deductibles and coinsurance. (1) A Medicare enrollee of an HMO or CMP is responsible for applicable Medicare deductible and coinsurance amounts, unless the HMO's or CMP's charges for these amounts are reduced under the additional benefits provision of § 417.442.
(2) The deductible and coinsurance amounts may be paid by or on behalf of the enrollee in the form of a premium, membership fee, charge per unit, or other similar charge.
(3) The sum of the amounts the HMO or CMP charges its Medicare enrollees for Medicare deductibles and coinsurance may not exceed, on the average, the actuarial value of the deductible and coinsurance the Medicare enrollees otherwise would have been liable for had they not enrolled in the HMO or CMP or in another HMO or CMP.
(b) Services not covered under Medicare. Unless the services are provided as additional benefits under § 417.442, a Medicare enrollee of an HMO or CMP is liable for payment for -
(1) All services that are not covered under Medicare Part A or Part B; or
(2) If entitled only to Medicare Part B benefits, all services that are not covered under Medicare Part B.
(c) Services for which Medicare is not primary payer. A Medicare enrollee of an HMO or CMP is liable for payments made to the enrollee for all covered services for which Medicare is not the primary payer as provided in § 417.528.
(d) Optional supplemental benefits plan. (1) The HMO or CMP may offer its Medicare enrollees a supplemental benefit plan to cover deductible and coinsurance amounts, or services not covered under Medicare, or both.
(2) If a supplemental benefit plan premium includes charges for both noncovered services and the deductible and coinsurance amounts applicable to covered services, the portion of the premium that is for deductibles and coinsurance must be computed separately and must be disclosed to the beneficiary during the enrollment process and before he or she elects coverage options.
(3) The sum of the amounts an HMO or CMP charges its Medicare enrollees for services that are not covered under Part A or Part B may not exceed the ACR for these services.
(e) Coverage of Part A services for Part B-only Medicare enrollees. If an HMO or CMP furnishes coverage of Medicare Part A services to a Medicare enrollee entitled to Part B only, the HMO's or CMP's premium (or other payment method) for these services may not exceed the ACR for these services. In addition, if a risk HMO or CMP furnishes these services and supplemental services, which are the same as the additional benefits furnished Medicare enrollees of the HMO or CMP who are entitled to benefits under both Parts A and B, the HMO's or CMP's combined premium for both these groups of services that the Part B enrollee must pay may not exceed 95 percent of the weighted average AAPCC for Part A services (or the Medicare payment for Part A services, if it is less) for the Medicare enrollee of the HMO or CMP.[50 FR 1346, Jan. 10, 1985, as amended at 58 FR 38079, July 15, 1993; 60 FR 45678, Sept. 1, 1995]