1270.50 Consulting with law enforcement agencies.§ 1270.50 Consulting with law enforcement agencies.
(a) The Archivist requests specific guidance from the appropriate law enforcement agency when the Archivist is determining whether to release Presidential records compiled for law enforcement purposes that may be subject to 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(7). The Archivist requests guidance if:
(1) No general guidance applies;
(2) The record is particularly sensitive; or
(3) The type of record or information is widespread throughout the files.
(b) When the Archivist decides to release Presidential records compiled for law enforcement purposes, the Archivist notifies any agency that has provided guidance on those records under this section. The notice includes the following:
(1) A description of the records in question;
(2) A statement that the records described contain information compiled for law enforcement purposes and may be subject to the exemption provided by 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(7) for records of this type; and
(3) The name of a contact person at NARA.
(c) Any guidance an agency provides under paragraph (a) of this section is not binding on the Archivist. The Archivist decides whether Presidential records are subject to the exemption in 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(7).