106.275 Security measures for monitoring.§ 106.275 Security measures for monitoring.
(a) General. (1) The OCS facility owner or operator must ensure the implementation of security measures in this section and have the capability to continuously monitor, through a combination of lighting, watchkeepers, security guards, deck watches, waterborne patrols, automatic intrusion-detection devices, or surveillance equipment as specified in their approved Facility Security Plan (FSP), the:
(i) OCS facility;
(ii) Restricted areas on board the OCS facility; and
(iii) The area surrounding the OCS facility.
(2) The following must be considered when establishing the appropriate level and location of lighting:
(i) OCS facility personnel should be able to detect activities on and around OCS facilities;
(ii) Coverage should facilitate personnel identification at access points; and
(iii) Lighting effects, such as glare, and their impact on safety, navigation, and other security activities.
(b) MARSEC Level 1. At MARSEC Level 1, the OCS facility owner or operator must ensure the implementation of security measures, which may be implemented in coordination with a vessel interfacing with the OCS facility, to:
(1) Monitor the OCS facility, particularly OCS facility access points and restricted areas;
(2) Be able to conduct emergency searches of the OCS facility;
(3) Ensure that equipment or system failures or malfunctions are identified and corrected;
(4) Ensure that any automatic intrusion detection device, sets off an audible or visual alarm, or both, at a location that is continuously attended or monitored; and
(5) Light deck and OCS facility access points during the period between sunset and sunrise and periods of limited visibility sufficiently to allow visual identification of persons seeking access to the OCS facility.
(c) MARSEC Level 2. In addition to the security measures required for MARSEC Level 1 in this section, at MARSEC Level 2, the OCS facility owner or operator must also ensure the implementation of additional security measures, as specified for MARSEC Level 2 in the approved FSP. These additional security measures may include:
(1) Increasing the frequency and detail of security patrols;
(2) Using (if not already in use) or increasing the use of security and surveillance equipment;
(3) Assigning additional personnel as security lookouts; or
(4) Coordinating with boat patrols, when provided.
(d) MARSEC Level 3. In addition to the security measures for MARSEC Level 1 and MARSEC Level 2, at MARSEC Level 3, the OCS facility owner or operator must ensure the implementation of additional security measures, as specified for MARSEC Level 3 in the approved FSP. These additional security measures may include:
(1) Cooperating with responders;
(2) Switching on all lights;
(3) Switching on all surveillance equipment capable of recording activities on, or in the vicinity of, the OCS facility;
(4) Maximizing the length of time such surveillance equipment (if not already in use) can continue to record; or
(5) Preparing for underwater inspection of the OCS facility.[USCG-2003-14759, 68 FR 39345, July 1, 2003; 68 FR 41917, July 16, 2003, as amended at 68 FR 60558, Oct. 22, 2003]