106.260 Security measures for access control.§ 106.260 Security measures for access control.
(a) General. The OCS facility owner or operator must ensure the implementation of security measures to:
(1) Deter the unauthorized introduction of dangerous substances and devices, including any device intended to damage or destroy persons, vessels, or the OCS facility;
(2) Secure dangerous substances and devices that are authorized by the OCS facility owner or operator to be on board;
(3) Control access to the OCS facility; and
(4) Prevent an unescorted individual from entering the OCS facility unless the individual holds a duly issued TWIC and is authorized to be on the OCS facility.
(b) The OCS facility owner or operator must ensure that the following are specified:
(1) All locations providing means of access to the OCS facility where access restrictions or prohibitions are applied for each security level to prevent unauthorized access, including those points where TWIC access control procedures will be applied;
(2) The identification of the types of restriction or prohibition to be applied and the means of enforcing them;
(3) The means used to establish the identity of individuals not in possession of a TWIC and the means by which they will be allowed access to the OCS facility; and
(4) Procedures for identifying authorized and unauthorized persons at any MARSEC level.
(c) The OCS facility owner or operator must establish in the approved Facility Security Plan (FSP) the frequency of application of any access controls, particularly if they are to be applied on a random or occasional basis.
(d) MARSEC Level 1. The OCS facility owner or operator must ensure the following security measures are implemented at the facility:
(1) Implement TWIC as set out in subpart E of part 101 of this subchapter and in accordance with the OCS facility's assigned Risk Group, as set out in § 106.258.
(2) Screen persons and personal effects going aboard the OCS facility for dangerous substances and devices at the rate specified in the approved FSP;
(3) Conspicuously post signs that describe security measures currently in effect and clearly stating that:
(i) Boarding an OCS facility is deemed valid consent to screening or inspection; and
(ii) Failure to consent or submit to screening or inspection will result in denial or revocation of authorization to be on board;
(4) Check the identification of any person seeking to board the OCS facility, including OCS facility employees, passengers and crews of vessels interfacing with the OCS facility, vendors, and visitors and ensure that non-TWIC holders are denied unescorted access to the OCS facility;
(5) Deny or revoke a person's authorization to be on board if the person is unable or unwilling, upon the request of OCS facility personnel or a law enforcement officer, to establish his or her identity in accordance with this part or to account for his or her presence on board. Any such incident must be reported in compliance with this part;
(6) Deter unauthorized access to the OCS facility;
(7) Identify access points that must be secured or attended to deter unauthorized access;
(8) Lock or otherwise prevent access to unattended spaces that adjoin areas to which OCS facility personnel and visitors have access;
(9) Ensure OCS facility personnel are not required to engage in or be subjected to screening, of the person or of personal effects, by other OCS facility personnel, unless security clearly requires it;
(10) Provide a designated secure area on board, or in liaison with a vessel interfacing with the OCS facility, for conducting inspections and screening of people and their personal effects; and
(11) Respond to the presence of unauthorized persons on board.
(e) MARSEC Level 2. In addition to the security measures required for MARSEC Level 1 in this section, at MARSEC Level 2, the OCS facility owner or operator must ensure the implementation of additional security measures, as specified for MARSEC Level 2 in the approved FSP. These additional security measures may include:
(1) Increasing the frequency and detail of screening of people and personal effects embarking onto the OCS facility as specified for MARSEC Level 2 in the approved FSP;
(2) Assigning additional personnel to patrol deck areas during periods of reduced OCS facility operations to deter unauthorized access;
(3) Limiting the number of access points to the OCS facility by closing and securing some access points;
(4) Deterring waterside access to the OCS facility, which may include, providing boat patrols; or
(5) Implementing additional electronic TWIC inspection requirements, as required by § 106.258, and by subpart E of part 101 of this subchapter.
(f) MARSEC Level 3. In addition to the security measures required for MARSEC Level 1 and MARSEC Level 2, at MARSEC level 3, the facility owner or operator must ensure the implementation of additional security measures, as specified for MARSEC Level 3 in their approved FSP. The additional security measures may include:
(1) Screening all persons and personal effects for dangerous substances and devices;
(2) Being prepared to cooperate with responders;
(3) Limiting access to the OCS facility to a single, controlled access point;
(4) Granting access to only those responding to the security incident or threat thereof;
(5) Suspending embarkation and/or disembarkation of personnel;
(6) Suspending the loading of stores or industrial supplies;
(7) Evacuating the OCS facility;
(8) Preparing for a full or partial search of the OCS facility; or
(9) Implementing additional electronic TWIC inspection requirements, as required by § 106.258, and by subpart E of part 101 of this subchapter.[USCG-2006-24196, 72 FR 3586, Jan. 25, 2007, as amended by USCG-2007-28915, 81 FR 57713, Aug. 23, 2016]