105.260 Security measures for restricted areas.§ 105.260 Security measures for restricted areas.
(a) General. The facility owner or operator must ensure the designation of restricted areas in order to:
(1) Prevent or deter unauthorized access;
(2) Protect persons authorized to be in the facility;
(3) Protect the facility;
(4) Protect vessels using and serving the facility;
(5) Protect sensitive security areas within the facility;
(6) Protect security and surveillance equipment and systems; and
(7) Protect cargo and vessel stores from tampering.
(b) Designation of Restricted Areas. The facility owner or operator must ensure restricted areas are designated within the facility. They must also ensure that all restricted areas are clearly marked and indicate that access to the area is restricted and that unauthorized presence within the area constitutes a breach of security. The facility owner or operator may also designate the entire facility as a restricted area. Restricted areas must include, as appropriate:
(1) Shore areas immediately adjacent to each vessel moored at the facility;
(2) Areas containing sensitive security information, including cargo documentation;
(3) Areas containing security and surveillance equipment and systems and their controls, and lighting system controls; and
(4) Areas containing critical facility infrastructure, including:
(i) Water supplies;
(iii) Electrical system; and
(iv) Access points for ventilation and air-conditioning systems;
(5) Manufacturing or processing areas and control rooms;
(6) Locations in the facility where access by vehicles and personnel should be restricted;
(7) Areas designated for loading, unloading or storage of cargo and stores; and
(8) Areas containing cargo consisting of dangerous goods or hazardous substances, including certain dangerous cargoes.
(c) The owner or operator must ensure that all restricted areas have clearly established security measures to:
(1) Identify which facility personnel are authorized to have access;
(2) Determine which persons other than facility personnel are authorized to have access;
(3) Determine the conditions under which that access may take place;
(4) Define the extent of any restricted area;
(5) Define the times when access restrictions apply;
(6) Clearly mark all restricted areas and indicate that access to the area is restricted and that unauthorized presence within the area constitutes a breach of security;
(7) Control the entry, parking, loading and unloading of vehicles;
(8) Control the movement and storage of cargo and vessel stores; and
(9) Control unaccompanied baggage or personal effects.
(d) MARSEC Level 1. At MARSEC Level 1, the facility owner or operator must ensure the implementation of security measures to prevent unauthorized access or activities within the area. These security measures may include:
(1) Restricting access to only authorized personnel;
(2) Securing all access points not actively used and providing physical barriers to impede movement through the remaining access points;
(3) Assigning personnel to control access to restricted areas;
(4) Verifying the identification and authorization of all persons and all vehicles seeking entry;
(5) Patrolling or monitoring the perimeter of restricted areas;
(6) Using security personnel, automatic intrusion detection devices, surveillance equipment, or surveillance systems to detect unauthorized entry or movement within restricted areas;
(7) Directing the parking, loading, and unloading of vehicles within a restricted area;
(8) Controlling unaccompanied baggage and or personal effects after screening;
(9) Designating restricted areas for performing inspections of cargo and vessel stores while awaiting loading; and
(10) Designating temporary restricted areas to accommodate facility operations. If temporary restricted areas are designated, the FSP must include a requirement to conduct a security sweep of the designated temporary restricted area both before and after the area has been established.
(e) MARSEC Level 2. In addition to the security measures required for MARSEC Level 1 in this section, at MARSEC Level 2, the facility owner or operator must also ensure the implementation of additional security measures, as specified for MARSEC Level 2 in their approved FSP. These additional security measures may include:
(1) Increasing the intensity and frequency of monitoring and access controls on existing restricted access areas;
(2) Enhancing the effectiveness of the barriers or fencing surrounding restricted areas, by the use of patrols or automatic intrusion detection devices;
(3) Reducing the number of access points to restricted areas, and enhancing the controls applied at the remaining accesses;
(4) Restricting parking adjacent to vessels;
(5) Further restricting access to the restricted areas and movements and storage within them;
(6) Using continuously monitored and recorded surveillance equipment;
(7) Enhancing the number and frequency of patrols, including waterborne patrols undertaken on the boundaries of the restricted areas and within the areas; or
(8) Establishing and restricting access to areas adjacent to the restricted areas.
(f) MARSEC Level 3. In addition to the security measures required for MARSEC Level 1 and MARSEC Level 2, at MARSEC Level 3, the facility owner or operator must ensure the implementation of additional security measures, as specified for MARSEC Level 3 in their approved FSP. These additional security measures may include:
(1) Restricting access to additional areas;
(2) Prohibiting access to restricted areas, or
(3) Searching restricted areas as part of a security sweep of all or part of the facility.