Title 29 Part 1960 → Subpart F → §1960.37
Title 29 → Subtitle B → Chapter XVII → Part 1960 → Subpart F → §1960.37
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations e-CFR
Title 29 Part 1960 → Subpart F → §1960.37
e-CFR data is current as of November 20, 2019
§1960.37 Committee organization.
(a) For agencies which elect to utilize the committee concept, safety and health committees shall be formed at both the national level and, for agencies with field or regional offices, at appropriate levels within the agency. To realize exemption from unannounced OSHA inspections, an agency must form a committee at the national level and at any establishment or grouping of establishments that is to be exempt, keeping the Secretary advised of the locations and activities where such committees are functioning.
(1) The principal function of the national level committee shall be to consult and provide policy advice on, and monitor the performance of, the agency-wide safety and health program.
(2) Committees at other appropriate levels shall be established at agency establishments or groupings of establishments consistent with the mission, size and organization of the agency and its collective bargaining configuration. The agency shall form committees at the lowest practicable local level. The principal function of the establishment (or local) committees is to monitor and assist in the execution of the agency's safety and health policies and program at the workplaces within their jurisdiction. Any dispute over the meaning of the term “appropriate levels” shall be resolved by the Secretary.
(b) Committees shall have equal representation of management and nonmanagement employees, who shall be members of record.
(1) Management members of both national level and establishment level committees shall be appointed in writing by the person empowered to make such appointments.
(2) Nonmanagement members of establishment level committees shall represent all employees of the establishment and shall be determined according to the following rules:
(i) Where employees are represented under collective bargaining arrangements, members shall be appointed from among those recommended by the exclusive bargaining representative;
(ii) Where employees are not represented under collective bargaining arrangements, members shall be determined through procedures devised by the agency which provide for effective representation of all employees; and
(iii) Where some employees of an establishment are covered under collective bargaining arrangements and others are not, members shall be representative of both groups.
(3) Nonmanagement members of national level committees shall be determined according to the following rules:
(i) Where employees are represented by organizations having exclusive recognition on an agency basis or by organizations having national consultation rights, some members shall be determined in accordance with the terms of collective bargaining agreements and some members shall be selected from those organizations having consultation rights, and
(ii) Where employees are not represented by organizations meeting the criteria of paragraph (b)(3)(i) of this section, members shall be determined through procedures devised by the agency which provide for effective representation of all employees.
(c) Committee members should serve overlapping terms. Such terms should be of at least two years duration, except when the committee is initially organized.
(d) The committee chairperson shall be nominated from among the committee's members and shall be elected by the committee members. Management and nonmanagement members should alternate in this position. Maximum service time as chairperson should be two consecutive years.
(e) Committees shall establish a regular schedule of meetings and special meetings shall be held as necessary; establishment level committees shall meet at least quarterly and national committees shall meet at least annually.
(f) Adequate advance notice of committee meetings shall be furnished to employees and each meeting shall be conducted pursuant to a prepared agenda.
(g) Written minutes of each committee meeting shall be maintained and distributed to each committee member, and upon request, shall be made available to employees and to the Secretary.