1022.11 Floodplain or wetland determination.§ 1022.11 Floodplain or wetland determination.
(a) Concurrent with its review of a proposed action to determine appropriate NEPA or CERCLA process requirements, DOE shall determine the applicability of the floodplain management and wetland protection requirements of this part.
(b) DOE shall determine whether a proposed action would be located within a base or critical action floodplain consistent with the most authoritative information available relative to site conditions from the following sources, as appropriate:
(1) Flood Insurance Rate Maps or Flood Hazard Boundary Maps prepared by FEMA;
(2) Information from a land-administering agency (e.g., Bureau of Land Management) or from other government agencies with floodplain-determination expertise (e.g., U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Natural Resources Conservation Service);
(3) Information contained in safety basis documents as defined at 10 CFR part 830; and
(4) DOE environmental documents, e.g., NEPA and CERCLA documents.
(c) DOE shall determine whether a proposed action would be located within a wetland consistent with the most authoritative information available relative to site conditions from the following sources, as appropriate:
(1) U.S. Army Corps of Engineers “Wetlands Delineation Manual,” Wetlands Research Program Technical Report Y-87-1, January 1987, or successor document;
(2) U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service National Wetlands Inventory or other government-sponsored wetland or land-use inventories;
(3) U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service Local Identification Maps;
(4) U.S. Geological Survey Topographic Maps; and
(5) DOE environmental documents, e.g., NEPA and CERCLA documents.
(d) Pursuant to § 1022.5 of this part and paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, DOE shall prepare:
(1) A floodplain assessment for any proposed floodplain action in the base floodplain or for any proposed floodplain action that is a critical action located in the critical action floodplain; or
(2) A wetland assessment for any proposed wetland action.