Title 40 Part 1051 → Subpart C → §1051.225
Title 40 → Chapter I → Subchapter U → Part 1051 → Subpart C → §1051.225
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations e-CFR
Title 40 Part 1051 → Subpart C → §1051.225
§1051.225 How do I amend my application for certification to include new or modified vehicle configurations or to change an FEL?
Before we issue you a certificate of conformity, you may amend your application to include new or modified vehicle configurations, subject to the provisions of this section. After we have issued your certificate of conformity, you may send us an amended application requesting that we include new or modified vehicle configurations within the scope of the certificate, subject to the provisions of this section. You must amend your application if any changes occur with respect to any information included in your application.
(a) You must amend your application before you take any of the following actions:
(1) Add a vehicle configuration to an engine family. In this case, the vehicle configuration added must be consistent with other vehicle configurations in the engine family with respect to the criteria listed in §1051.230.
(2) Change a vehicle configuration already included in an engine family in a way that may affect emissions, or change any of the components you described in your application for certification. This includes production and design changes that may affect emissions any time during the engine's lifetime.
(3) Modify an FEL for an engine family, as described in paragraph (f) of this section.
(b) To amend your application for certification, send the Designated Compliance Officer the following information:
(1) Describe in detail the addition or change in the vehicle model or configuration you intend to make.
(2) Include engineering evaluations or data showing that the amended engine family complies with all applicable requirements. You may do this by showing that the original emission-data vehicle is still appropriate for showing that the amended family complies with all applicable requirements.
(3) If the original emission-data vehicle for the engine family is not appropriate to show compliance for the new or modified vehicle configuration, include new test data showing that the new or modified vehicle configuration meets the requirements of this part.
(c) We may ask for more test data or engineering evaluations. You must give us these within 30 days after we request them.
(d) For engine families already covered by a certificate of conformity, we will determine whether the existing certificate of conformity covers your new or modified vehicle configuration. You may ask for a hearing if we deny your request (see §1051.820).
(e) For engine families already covered by a certificate of conformity, you may start producing the new or modified vehicle configuration anytime after you send us your amended application, before we make a decision under paragraph (d) of this section. However, if we determine that the affected vehicles do not meet applicable requirements, we will notify you to cease production of the vehicles and may require you to recall the vehicles at no expense to the owner. Choosing to produce vehicles under this paragraph (e) is deemed to be consent to recall all vehicles that we determine do not meet applicable emission standards or other requirements and to remedy the nonconformity at no expense to the owner. If you do not provide information required under paragraph (c) of this section within 30 days after we request it, you must stop producing the new or modified vehicle configuration.
(f) You may ask us to approve a change to your FEL in certain cases after the start of production. The changed FEL may not apply to vehicles you have already introduced into commerce, except as described in this paragraph (f). If we approve a changed FEL after the start of production, you must include the new FEL on the emission control information label for all vehicles produced after the change. You may ask us to approve a change to your FEL in the following cases:
(1) You may ask to raise your FEL for your engine family at any time. In your request, you must show that you will still be able to meet the emission standards as specified in subparts B and H of this part. If you amend your application by submitting new test data to include a newly added or modified vehicle, as described in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, use the appropriate FELs with corresponding production volumes to calculate your average emission level for the model year, as described in subpart H of this part. In all other circumstances, you must use the higher FEL for the entire family to calculate your average emission level under subpart H of this part.
(2) You may ask to lower the FEL for your engine family only if you have test data from production engines showing that the engines have emissions below the proposed lower FEL. The lower FEL applies only to engines you produce after we approve the new FEL. Use the appropriate FELs with corresponding production volumes to calculate your average emission level for the model year, as described in subpart H of this part.
[73 FR 59249, Oct. 8, 2008]