Title 40 Part 85 → Subpart P → §85.1502
Title 40 → Chapter I → Subchapter C → Part 85 → Subpart P → §85.1502
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations e-CFR
Title 40 Part 85 → Subpart P → §85.1502
e-CFR data is current as of January 23, 2020
Title 40: Protection of Environment
PART 85—CONTROL OF AIR POLLUTION FROM MOBILE SOURCES
Subpart P—Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Engines
(a) As used in this subpart, all terms not defined herein have the meanings given them in 19 CFR 12.73, in the Clean Air Act, as amended, and elsewhere in parts 85 and 86 of this chapter.
(1) Act. The Clean Air Act, as amended (42 U.S.C. 7401 et seq.).
(2) Administrator. The Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency.
(3) Certificate of conformity. The document issued by the Administrator under section 206(a) of the Act.
(4) Certificate holder. The entity in whose name the certificate of conformity for a class of motor vehicles or motor vehicle engines has been issued.
(5) The Federal Compliance Testing sequence (FCT). The testing sequence that incorporates all of the testing requirements of part 86 applicable at the time of an emissions test conducted pursuant to this subpart.
(6) FTP. The Federal Test Procedure at part 86.
(7) Independent commercial importer (ICI). An importer who is not an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) (see definition below) or does not have a contractual agreement with an OEM to act as its authorized representative for the distribution of motor vehicles or motor vehicle engines in the U.S. market.
(8) Model year. The manufacturer's annual production period (as determined by the Administrator) which includes January 1 of such calendar year; Provided, That if the manufacturer has no annual production period, the term “model year” shall mean the calendar year in which a vehicle is modified. A certificate holder shall be deemed to have produced a vehicle or engine when the certificate holder has modified the nonconforming vehicle or engine.
(9) Nonconforming vehicle or engine. A motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine which is not covered by a certificate of conformity prior to final or conditional importation and which has not been finally admitted into the United States under the provisions of §85.1505, §85.1509 or the applicable provisions of §85.1512. Excluded from this definition are vehicles admitted under provisions of §85.1512 covering EPA approved manufacturer and U.S. Government Agency catalyst and O2 sensor control programs.
(10) Original equipment manufacturer (OEM). The entity which originally manufactured the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine prior to conditional importation.
(11) Original production (OP) year. The calendar year in which the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine was originally produced by the OEM.
(12) Original production (OP) years old. The age of a vehicle as determined by subtracting the original production year of the vehicle from the calendar year of importation.
(13) Running changes. Those changes in vehicle or engine configuration, equipment or calibration which are made by an OEM or ICI in the course of motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine production.
(14) United States. United States includes the States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
(15) Useful life. A period of time/mileage as specified in part 86 for a nonconforming vehicle which begins at the time of resale (for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine owned by the ICI at the time of importation) or release to the owner (for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine not owned by the ICI at the time of importation) of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine by the ICI after modification and/or test pursuant to §85.1505 or §85.1509.
(16) Working day. Any day on which Federal government offices are open for normal business. Saturdays, Sundays, and official Federal holidays are not working days.
[52 FR 36156, Sept. 25, 1987, as amended at 61 FR 5842, Feb. 14, 1996; 70 FR 40430, July 13, 2005]