Title 16 Part 1229
Title 16 → Chapter II → Subchapter B → Part 1229
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations e-CFR
Title 16 Part 1229
This part establishes a consumer product safety standard for infant bouncer seats.
§1229.2 Requirements for infant bouncer seats.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, each infant bouncer seat must comply with all applicable provisions of ASTM F2167-17, Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Infant Bouncer Seats, approved on June 1, 2017. The Director of the Federal Register approves this incorporation by reference in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51. You may obtain a copy from ASTM International, 100 Bar Harbor Drive, P.O. Box 0700, West Conshohocken, PA 19428; http://www.astm.org/cpsc.htm. You may inspect a copy at the Office of the Secretary, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Room 820, 4330 East West Highway, Bethesda, MD 20814, telephone 301-504-7923, or at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030, or go to: www.archives.gov/federal-register/cfr/ibr-locations.html.
(b) Comply with ASTM F2167-17 with the following additions or exclusions:
(1) Instead of complying with section 22.214.171.124 of ASTM F2167-17, comply with the following:
(i) 126.96.36.199 Visibility With CAMI Dummy Restrained in Seat—While standing in front of the product with the Newborn CAMI dummy installed, verify that the required warnings are visible and placed above an imaginary horizontal line that crosses through the junctions of under arm and side of the torso armpits on both left and right and not obscured by any part of the dummy (as shown in paragraph (b)(1)(ii), “Fig. 10”).
(ii) Fig. 10: CAMI Dummy Restrained in Seat; Allowable area for warning label placement starts from the dotted line that crosses the junctions of underarm and both sides of the torso.View or download PDF
(2) In section 188.8.131.52 of ASTM F2167-17, replace the warning statement “ALWAYS use restraints. Adjust to fit snugly” with “ALWAYS use restraints and adjust to fit snugly, even if baby falls asleep.”
(3) In section 184.108.40.206 of ASTM F2167-17, replace the warning statement “ALWAYS use restraints. Adjust to fit snugly” with “ALWAYS use restraints and adjust to fit snugly, even if baby falls asleep.”
(4) In section 8.5.3 of ASTM F2167-17, replace the reference to “Figs. 10 and 11” with “Figs. 11 and 12.”
(5) In section 9.2.1 of ASTM F2167-17:
(i) Replace the reference to “Fig. 12” with “Fig. 13.”
(ii) Replace Fig. 10 with paragraph (b)(5)(iii), “Fig. 11”.
(iii) Fig. 11: Fall Hazard Warning.View or download PDF
(iv) Replace Fig. 11 with paragraph (b)(5)(v), “Fig. 12”.
(v) Fig. 12: Suffocation Hazard Warning.View or download PDF
(vi) Replace Fig. 12 with paragraph (b)(5)(vii), “Fig. 13”.
(vii) Fig. 13: Instruction Warning Statements.View or download PDF
(6) In section 9.2.2 of ASTM F2167-17, replace the reference to “Fig. 12” with “Fig. 13.”